“Kids! Channel Your Inner Artist ~ Sunflower” with Marie Spaulding ~ Wednesday, April 18th at 11 am & 2 pm ~ Get the kids out of the house during vacation and come paint this sunflower with Marie Spaulding in the warm, sunny greenhouses. Cost is $25. Please click the link below for more information and to register for one of the sessions.
“Lighthouse Organic Wine Tasting” ~ Thursday, April 19th from 4:00 pm to 7:00 pm ~ Join The Lighthouse Wine & Seafood, right here, at Longfellow’s for a special, free organic wine tasting. Taste a delicious lineup of organic, sustainably produced wines from Devenish Wines as you soak up the lush surroundings of the greenhouses. Please RSVP at 207-622-5965
“Plant an Herb Basket” with Kerri Day ~ Saturday, April 21st at 1 pm ~ Fill a basket with fresh tasty herbs to place next to a window and plant later in your garden. Cost is $25. Please call 622-5965 to register.
Annual Spring Open House
Saturday, April 28th & Sunday April 29th
Saturday, April 28th:
- “Growing Highbush Blueberries” Lecture with David Handley at 10 am ~ Blueberries are a great addition to most backyard gardens and landscapes. This workshop will review the proper techniques to create a successful blueberry planting in your yard. We’ll discuss site preparation, varieties, planting tips, pruning and pest management for this delightful crop. Registration not required.
- “Growing Raspberries & Blackberries” Lecture with David Handley at 11:30 am ~ Raspberries and blackberries are among the favorite fruits of Maine gardeners, but keeping the plants vigorous and productive can be a real challenge in our climate. This lecture will take a detailed look at growing raspberries and blackberries, including variety selection, planting, pruning, trellising and pest management, to help you have a successful harvest of these fruits. Registration not required.
- “Plant a Pansy Basket” with Kerri Day at 2 pm ~ Pansies are one of the first flowers of the spring and bring much needed color after a very long and cold winter. Create a cheerful basket of colorful flowers and accent plants. Cost is $25. Please call 622-5965 to register.
Sunday, April 29th:
- Wicked Sharp Knives ~ 12 pm – 3 pm ~ Sharpen up for spring! Have your knives and tools sharpened at a very reasonable price. This service can sharpen kitchen knives, pocket & hunting knives, scissors and cutting tools. Registration not required. Please limit to 4 items.
- “Veggies in Small Spaces” Lecture with Alice Elliott at 11 am ~ Is your back 40 just 40 feet? Is your only sunny space just along the driveway? Make use of the un-useable by growing in containers. Flowers, tomatoes, herbs, salad, you can grow it all in containers. This class will give you some helpful tips to get started. Registration not required.
Other Open House Activities:
Raffles • Specials • Demonstrations • Free Coffee • Free Kids’ Craft • And More!
“How to Grow Big Beautiful Tomatoes” Lecture with Mark Hutton ~ Saturday, May 5th at 11 am ~ Mark Hutton, University of Maine Cooperative Extension, Vegetable Specialist, will discuss how to produce tasty, beautiful tomatoes in your home garden. He will review starting seeds, growing and planting transplants, ground preparation, the use of mulching and proper pruning. He also will discuss ways to prevent common diseases and pests related to tomatoes. Registration not required.